Live Chat Software         

Be Aware Of Carbon Monoxide Build Up


When you think about burning a fire in your fireplace, your thoughts usually turn to a warm, crackling fire. One that brings comfort to your living room. Maybe to you it means a cozy night playing games and eating popcorn with your family. Perhaps, it means a romantic candlelit dinner for two. It’s fair to say that a fire can evoke great memories. However, it’s important to be aware that the proper precautions must be taken. This is so that you aren’t surprised by an unwelcome concern – carbon monoxide poisoning!

Carbon Monoxide Explained

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when you burn fuel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website states that this can be any type of fuel. Whether it be your car, furnace, or even your fireplace. If carbon monoxide is allowed to build up in your house, it can cause illness. Consequently, in the worst case scenario, even death.

Carbon Monoxide Symptoms

According to the Mayo Clinic website, if you do have a high level of carbon monoxide in your home, certain symptoms may appear. Some of these are shortness of breath, confusion, nausea and/or vomiting. Also, a dull headache, blurred vision, or in extreme cases, loss of consciousness.

How Does Carbon Monoxide Invade Your Home?

Modern homes are built to be energy efficient, and that is definitely a plus on the heating bill. They are built especially tight, and that means cold air can’t get in. However, the carbon monoxide that is produced needs a place to escape. In the older homes, those cracks that let the air in also let the carbon dioxide out. So, if you have a new home that’s too airtight, you may want to consider something as simple as having a window cracked slightly when you have a fire burning.

What To Do

Do you want to be sure that you won’t have a carbon monoxide build up? If so, the best thing to do is to make sure that your chimney system is cleaned and inspected on an annual basis. The Chimney Safety Institute of America, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the National Fire Protection Agency, and the American Lung Association are just a few of the agencies that emphasize the importance of annual inspection and cleaning. Also mentioning having it done by a CSIA certified professional, like those at Chim Cheroo Chimney Service! Also, make sure that you have a working carbon monoxide detector. In addition, that you also check and change the batteries on a regular basis.

Who to Call

If you don’t remember when your last chimney cleaning happened, or if you’re worried about the possibility of carbon monoxide build up, you want to call the best in the business. That means the expert technicians at Chim Cheroo Chimney Service. They stay up to date on all the latest regulations and chimney cleaning/inspecting techniques. Your safety is their highest concern, and they will take special care to make sure that your chimney is cleaned and in the best state of repair!

By | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Comments Off on Be Aware Of Carbon Monoxide Build Up